Dental Implants are a great solution for patients who suffer from tooth loss due to periodontal disease or injury. Rather than using dentures or bridges, more and more patients have turned to dental implants as they provide a stronger foundation for both permanent and removable teeth. Before we explore the perfect candidates for dental implants, let’s take a look at some of the benefits.
Advantages of Dental Implants
Dental implants have major advancements over other treatments, including improved oral health. Nearby teeth aren’t altered which means more of your teeth are left intact. Because patients have easier access between teeth they can improve their oral hygiene. Additional benefits of dental implants include:
- Dental implants feel and look like your own teeth
- Dentures can slip out of your mouth causing you to slur your speech, but dentures however, allow you to speak worry-free
- Since dentures function like your own teeth, you can eat any type of food without worry
- Improvements in self-esteem is extremely common among patients because dental implants bring back their smile
- When taken care of, dental implants can last a lifetime
- Dental implants don’t include any messy adhesive which eliminates embarrassment
Dental Implant Candidates
Ideal candidates for dental implants are patients who are in good health. If you have periodontal disease or unhealthy gum tissue, the cosmetic dentist will need to treat and reverse this prior to receiving dental implants. Since dental implants are set in the jawbone a patient must have enough bone mass so the implant can be anchored in.
Once you have received the dental implant, daily brushing and flossing is critical to maintaining longevity, along with regularly scheduled dental check-ups.
Dental implants may not be the right choice for:
- Child or teen whose jawbone is still developing
- A woman who is pregnant
- A smoker (this interferes with the healing process)
- Someone who has received radiation around the neck, jaw or head
- Someone who clenches or grinds their teeth
If you’re considering dental implants, the team at Longwood Dental Group will gladly meet with you for a complimentary consultation. Our cosmetic dentists have years of experience providing patients with dental implant treatments in Brookline. We’ll walk you through the entire process and how to maintain your dental implants for a long lasting, healthy smile.