Post Operative Instructions For Periodontal Surgery
- Please avoid excessive physical exertion for 24 hours after surgery as complications from bleeding may result and delay healing.
- It is normal to have mild to moderate discomfort from the surgery for up to one week. Take your prescription medication as recommended. Avoid taking aspirin for one week after surgery because complications from bleeding may result and delay healing.
- If ice is recommended, utilize ice on the side of your face associated with the surgery intermittently for 5 minutes on and 5 minutes off during the first two hours after surgery. Do not use ice on the area after on the area after the initial 24 hours. After 72 hours, if swelling does develop, you can use moist heat on the area.
- If a periodontal dressing was used on the surgical site, it was placed there to help keep the surgical area clean. Hot liquids, such as coffee, tea, and soup may soften the dressing and it will be less retentive. It is not uncommon for this dressing to come off during the week, and this should not cause a problem. If the dressing is lost, be cautious to avoid chewing in the area of the mouth where the surgery was performed. Do not brush the surgical area this week.
- Please rinse your mouth very gently today. Starting tomorrow you may rinse your mouth as often as you like using warm water and salt. If a mouth rinse was prescribed, use as directed.
- If you are a smoker, smoking this week will compromise the healing. If you are a smoker and had a graft, a less optimal result can be expected.
- If excessive bleeding develops, sit down and remain calm. Apply direct and constant pressure for 15 minutes with a moistened tea bag.
- Please have a well balanced diet this week. Softer foods such as steamed vegetables, pasta, cheese, eggs and yogurt will be easier to eat. Try to avoid spicy foods, as they will likely to irritate the surgical area.
If you have a blender, you can try to making yourself a protein shake. Take 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries or blueberries combined with 1 banana, 1 scoop of soy protein powder and 16 ounces of orange juice. Blend to a drinkable consistency (about 30 seconds).
Dr. Robert Cipriano, Longwood Dental Group